PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier in screen room

TexasPromowear
07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
What a difference adding a $240 Frigidaire dehumidifier has made to our screens. It has literally started saving our films. Even with our shop being climate controlled, we have always had issues this time of year in Houston with our films leaving 10% of it's dye on the emulsion. There was just too much moisture in the air, I guess. We just threw the films away and moved on.

Now that we've got the dehumidifier running and keeping the humidity at 35%, our films literally fall off the back of the screens now after exposure with no loss of integrity.

Just thought we'd share......

EvolutionaryScreenPrinting
07-26-2010, 05:11 PM
What a difference adding a $240 Frigidaire dehumidifier has made to our screens. It has literally started saving our films. Even with our shop being climate controlled, we have always had issues this time of year in Houston with our films leaving 10% of it's dye on the emulsion. There was just too much moisture in the air, I guess. We just threw the films away and moved on.

Now that we've got the dehumidifier running and keeping the humidity at 35%, our films literally fall off the back of the screens now after exposure with no loss of integrity.

oh yeah, i dont know where i would be without mine. =]

GKitson
07-27-2010, 06:28 AM

Couple of fine tuning points on the use of a dehumidifier in the screen room:

Those little marvels remove moisture by use of refrigeration and moving moist air over cold coils. You must keep the coils and the air filters clean for maximum efficiency.

Additionally, the exhaust can be very warm and if you have a small area it can very easily heat the room environment to above 100 Degree’s F and you will/may have problems with pre-exposing emulsion due to the heat. Be aware of where the exhaust is directed and how close you pile/rack screens to that exhaust.

In our screen room 78 Degrees F with 30% RH is the target and we have a humidistat on the wall to track the RH. When we coat a batch of 50 screens the RH can scream up to 70% in a matter of a few minutes after coating is complete and we generally will not use those screens in our CTS unit until the room is back under 40% RH.

It takes about 90 -120 minutes in our environment to remove what amounts to a half a gallon of water from the 50 screens coated with a gallon of 41% solids emulsion.

This is good solid background every screen printer/maker should be aware of.

Greg Kitson

bimmridder
07-27-2010, 06:35 AM
I think most know this, but I have to add...make sure you drain the unit outside the room. Don't use the tank many come with and leave the water sit in it. Run a hose out of the room. It doesn't do much good to take the moisture from the air to sit in a tank to go back into the air. Sorry for stating the obvious.