Quantity printed in your shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantity printed in your shop

Every shop is different and there are numerous thoughts on what is the average size of a print shop. Lets set the record straight! This will run for 10 days.
    Rich Hoffman
    CEO
    Toll-Free: 800 736 6431
    Office: +1 630 858 6101
    Mobile: +1 630 240 9076
    Fax: +1 847 583 8578
    rich.hoffman@mrprint.com

The M&R Companies
    M&R - NuArc - Amscomatic
    1N372 Main St
    Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
    www.mrprint.com

Originally posted by 244
    Every shop is different and there are numerous thoughts on what is the average size of a print shop. Lets set the record straight! This will run for 10 days.
    Somebody on this forum must be doing over 5MM prints a year. Heck, some of our presses have 20-30 million prints on them.
    Thad Hutton
    Dir. Marketing & Advertising
    +1 760 966 7171 ext 112

The M&R Companies
    www.mrprint.com
    800.736.6431 or +1 630.858.6101

Comment

Originally posted by Thad
      Originally posted by 244
      Somebody on this forum must be doing over 5MM prints a year. Heck, some of our presses have 20-30 million prints on them.
      I am just going over 200k prints on my D-Back in 2 yrs...not bad for a small shop like us...thanks M&R

Sam
      Sam Wildt
      Palomar Printing
      Operations Manager
      http://www.palomarprinting.com
      508-856-7237

Comment

Originally posted by socalfmf
        Originally posted by Thad
        Originally posted by 244
        I am just going over 200k prints on my D-Back in 2 yrs...not bad for a small shop like us...thanks M&R

Sam
        We're just a little over 300K on the Sporty and it's about 30 months old. And we still use the old Gauntlet a pretty good bit too.
        Steve
        www.tshirt1.com

Comment

One more day left to this poll. Give it your best shot!
          Rich Hoffman
          CEO
          Toll-Free: 800 736 6431
          Office: +1 630 858 6101
          Mobile: +1 630 240 9076
          Fax: +1 847 583 8578
          rich.hoffman@mrprint.com

The M&R Companies
          M&R - NuArc - Amscomatic
          1N372 Main St
          Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
          www.mrprint.com

Comment

It says the poll is closed, but here are my numbers since we started back up, the last week of December '08

Challenger II- 56,454
            Gauntlet II- 51,484
            Challenger II- 51,959
            Total 159,897

These three presses went under water for an unknown amount of time during last years floods. They went back to M&R to be gone through and made operational again. Sure, I've had to relace cylinders, bearings, etc, but considering what they went through, I'd say they're running pretty damn good. I did't lose my presses, but I did lose all my people with the exception of a shipping and screen tech person. So these numbers are with completely new people, only a few ever even seeing screen printing. Kudos to M&R for helping us through this. (Think it would have happened without the Tri-Loc?)
            Dave Filip
            Bimm Ridder Sportswear
            (319)364-3479
            davefilip@bimmridder.com

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Comment

This is not to make any one feel bad, but just to let you guys know what some shops do. I worked with a lot of very large shops here on the west coast and this is typical of the numbers they would produce. Most high production shops will run between 3,500 to 6,500 impressions a shift based on a 6.5 hr (lunch & breaks) production day. I had one shop who averaged 157,500 units per shift and ran two shifts. SO...they produced 315,000 a day or...get ready...1,575,000 per week. No..it is not a typo...1,575,000 per week.

Just some food for thought!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bootha
                This is not to make any one feel bad, but just to let you guys know what some shops do. I worked with a lot of very large shops here on the west coast and this is typical of the numbers they would produce. Most high production shops will run between 3,500 to 6,500 impressions a shift based on a 6.5 hr (lunch & breaks) production day. I had one shop who averaged 157,500 units per shift and ran two shifts. SO...they produced 315,000 a day or...get ready...1,575,000 per week. No..it is not a typo...1,575,000 per week.

Shannon,

Yeah they do big numbers, but when they have a bad week are they still in business? and how many in SOCAL have gone under recently? I think I will keep to my plan of 2 autos and keep the money in MY pocket...

Hope all is well out there...

Sam
                Sam Wildt
                Palomar Printing
                Operations Manager
                508-856-7237

Comment

Sam,

A very, very good plan!

Things are good....and you?

Shannon

Comment

Sam,

A very, very good plan!

Things are good....and you?

Shannon
                    We are kickin' butt...looking to add another employee soon, but I think we will stick with the HS kids we have had for the last few years help over the summer then think about hiring that next person.

kids are getting bigger, Jill is great...basically things are great

Sam
                    Sam Wildt
                    Palomar Printing
                    Operations Manager
                    508-856-7237

Comment

Amazing numbers without a doubt. I know we're not a very big shop. But we're comfortable where we are and working on controlled growth. We try to keep our staff the same year round. When we're busy, we ask them to work OT. When it slows down, there's no one to lay off. Might bring in temps for tagging, but that's about it. Not setting any industry records, but still in business after 20 years.
                      Dave Filip
                      Bimm Ridder Sportswear
                      (319)364-3479
                      davefilip@bimmridder.com

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Comment

Shannon, the shop that printed 157,500 shirts per shift had how many automatics running at one time? Is this Fortune Fashions?

Let's talk number of shirts per press as a real number. Without talking about the number of presses and throwing numbers out there like that, you may be inadvertently misleading some people to misunderstand.

I think it is okay to say that a shop can print 1.5 million shirts a week on 32 automatics.

I have a client in India that prints 55 million prints a year, which sounds outrageous to the average printer in the US. But the truth of the matter is that they are not printing T-shirts, but piecework which can be loaded in a fraction of the time it takes to load a t-shirt. And they are running three shifts around the clock with 12 automatics and 12 manuals.

That's 8,400 per hour total, for 18 press hours a day, to turn 151,200 per day, for 7 days a week to equal 1,058,400 prints per week. Yep, that is 55 million prints a year.

To further complicate matters they are printing the same piece in often as many as four places, so they are not actually removing them from the press on each go around, but simply turning the piece around and printing the same piece in another location. Shame that the press cannot print the entire piece at one time, but they are large pieces.

Granted, the shop should have purchased larger presses, but with labor and utilities so inexpensive in Asia, it doesn't make the same sense as it does in the US market.
                        May all your impressions be great,

Bill Hood
                        Consultant to the Screenprinting Industry Worldwide since 1983
                        Austin, TX and Cuernavaca, MX
                        World Phone: (0011) 512.481.2465

http://solutionsjournal.com
                        http://schoolofscreenprinting.com
                        http://screenprintstore.com

Comment

Bill,

What was misleading about my post. I prefaced the post by say this was not meant to make anyone feel bad, but to let them know what some larger shops do. I also incluided what their machines averaged per shift (3,500 to 6,500 unit per day) So what may be misleading in all of this???? I also never mentioned who the shop was because they may not anyone to know their numbers!!!

Shannon

Comment

Bill,

What was misleading about my post. I prefaced the post by say this was not meant to make anyone feel bad, but to let them know what some larger shops do. I also incluided what their machines averaged per shift (3,500 to 6,500 unit per day) So what may be misleading in all of this???? I also never mentioned who the shop was because they may not anyone to know their numbers!!!

Shannon
                            Now I understand, "Most high production shops will run between 3,500 to 6,500 impressions a shift based on a 6.5 hr (lunch & breaks) production day." meant "units per press per shift" and not the entire "high production shop." I was left wondering how 3,500 to 6,500 impressions a shift could equate to such a large number of total production. You see how misleading things can become if you leave out a word or two here and there?

I thought I understood, but was just asking for clarification. We both know who the big boys are in SoCal. We've both been to the shops and worked closely with them over the years.
                            May all your impressions be great,

Bill Hood
                            Consultant to the Screenprinting Industry Worldwide since 1983
                            Austin, TX and Cuernavaca, MX
                            World Phone: (0011) 512.481.2465

http://solutionsjournal.com
                            http://schoolofscreenprinting.com
                            http://screenprintstore.com

Comment

I see your point Bill...

Comment

Working...
                              X