Crooked Prints Using Tri-Lock on Sportsman 8/10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crooked Prints Using Tri-Lock on Sportsman 8/10

Hi, This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place for this.

I have a Sportsman 8/10 with a Tri-Lock system. We've been in business since 2001, so we're not new to the game, but this is our first automatic.

On occasion, I've noticed that prints seem a little off center or crooked. I've tended to blame the pressman. She's really good at pulling shirts on straight though because I'm Type A and threw away tons of shirts and yelled a lot when we first started. Lol

Monday we printed a job that had a point on the top of the art making the center obvious. To make matters worse, the shirts were v-neck. I didn't see the shirts, I work in the office taking care of the front end, until the customer called and brought them back in. In 16 years, this was a first, so I'm angry and mortified to say the least. After checking several things, I realized it was the print, not how the shirts were on the platens. It was crooked on a bunch of the shirts.

After checking several things today, what I've found is that if I set up head 1 with the tri-lock and turn the arm to the next platen, lift and check my art for center, it will be centered on one arm and as cocked as much as 1/8" off at the top on the next. The following arm might be back on center and so on.

I had a tech set the press up originally, so I don't know how to adjust the arms that are off. I thought about the screws on the arm that adjusts the arm left to right (on my manual they were plastic or teflon), but how could it be crooked in a span of 7-8" from top to bottom of the art?

Sorry for so being wordy. Just want you to have all the info I could give. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your press was installed by an M&R tech please contact me for a solution.
    Rich Hoffman
    CEO
    Toll-Free: 800 736 6431
    Office: +1 630 858 6101
    Mobile: +1 630 240 9076
    Fax: +1 847 583 8578
    rich.hoffman@mrprint.com

The M&R Companies
    M&R - NuArc - Amscomatic
    1N372 Main St
    Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
    www.mrprint.com

Comment

Re: Crooked Prints Using Tri-Lock on Sportsman 8/10

don't discount that the shirts may be sewn funky or shrunk funny in the mfg process ... not so noticeable until you have a v-neck and an obvious center point on a design ... been there

Comment

Originally posted by 244 View Post
        If your press was installed by an M&R tech please contact me for a solution.

Thanks, Rich, it was installed by a couple of techs from GSG.

Comment

Originally posted by Progressive_Raleigh_NC View Post
          don't discount that the shirts may be sewn funky or shrunk funny in the mfg process ... not so noticeable until you have a v-neck and an obvious center point on a design ... been there
          Progressive....I agree and have been there too, but that's not the case here. I'm replacing 80 shirts of 511. Don't ask me why the pressman or helper didn't pick it up other than the pressman had been sick all week and was back to get that job out and it was 100 degrees in the shop.

It might be worth noting that the registration is great, so no movement between colors.

Comment

What are the names of the GSG techs? Lloyd and Harry?

Comment

Originally posted by John Drake View Post

No, I think Chris and someone. Chris(?) was like 6'2", slim. The other guy I think was pretty new. Seemed to only do what he was told.

It's been a while since the installation and I know we should've realized it before now unless it's something that has moved from running. But I'm the picky one and I'm not in the shop checking for straightness as much as I randomly check registration.

This design really made it easy to spot the angle because of the top literally pointing up at the center and it didn't match the v in the v-necks. As a matter of fact, there were 511 shirts total...90 v-necks and the rest were crew necks. They sent back 71 v-necks and 6 crew necks. That's how inconspicuous the crookedness is in reality, but I need it fixed. This is costing me $300 in shirts alone. I messed with it again today drawing fresh center lines on the platens and using the number one head, I put the screen on and checked each arm. Only 1 was actually close to being truly centered. They were all off the same direction, but some were off 1/16" and one was off almost 1/4". I'm sure it's a matter of making adjustments, I just need to know what to adjust so I don't throw the whole thing into worse shape than it is.

Comment

You can't adjust without loosening the arms and splitting them evenly. That sounds like the problem. Do not touch the bearings that go into the fork. You cannot fix it there.
                Rich Hoffman
                CEO
                Toll-Free: 800 736 6431
                Office: +1 630 858 6101
                Mobile: +1 630 240 9076
                Fax: +1 847 583 8578
                rich.hoffman@mrprint.com

The M&R Companies
                M&R - NuArc - Amscomatic
                1N372 Main St
                Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
                www.mrprint.com

Comment

Originally posted by 244 View Post
                  You can't adjust without loosening the arms and splitting them evenly. That sounds like the problem. Do not touch the bearings that go into the fork. You cannot fix it there.
                  Thanks again, Rich. I've been watching the videos on assembly and I'm headed to the shop to measure the distance between the arms. I'll update my results.

Comment

That's a Dumb and Dumber joke. That is a problem with using GSG techs, they send one experienced (?) tech and one trainee/grunt....but charge the same for both.

Comment

That's a Dumb and Dumber joke. That is a problem with using GSG techs, they send one experienced (?) tech and one trainee/grunt....but charge the same for both.
                      Lol. Obviously I've never seen Dumb & Dumber.

When I purchased my press, the M&R techs were booked for like 3.5 weeks. I needed it set up and running asap. GSG's guys were going to be in town in like 6 days. And as much as I hate to say it, GSG was a little cheaper and there were some unexpected expenses with getting it to OKC from Santa Fe and setting it up, so cheaper helped.

I'm not a big fan of GSG and you're right, one good tech and a grunt, but until now, I thought we were in good shape.

Comment

Working...
                      X