The Law of Success

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Law of Success

There is an article - The Law of Success - at the School of Screenprinting website. The article is written by John Counsel, the founder and CEO of The Profit Clinic, a management consulting, training and publishing firm that has written something that everyone who wants to succeed should read.

Each year in the United States alone, over 500,000 people start a new business. According to statistics gathered by the United States Department of Commerce, by the end of the first year at least 40-percent of them will be out of business. Within 5-years, more than 80-percent of them, some 400,000 people, close the doors to their business and admit to failure.

If you are in business and have managed to survive for 5-years or more, don’t get too excited. Of those who do survive the first 5-years, another 80-percent will fail during the second 5-years! Yes, only 20,000 of the original 500,000 people will make it in business! That’s 4 percent of the total!

More importantly, why do so many screenprinting businesses fail at a faster rate than business in general? Take a poll in your community. How many screenprinting businesses in your community have been in business longer than 10-years? How many have been around longer than 20-years.

Most screenprinting businesses are started by individuals under the age of 30 and given that the retirement age is currently 66-years of age – the current life expectancy of a screenprinting business would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 36-years. Yet it is difficult to find more than a few screenprinting businesses that have been around 10-years. Why is this?

Each month I conduct workshops for screenprinters in three locations in North America. I also travel worldwide consulting for a fair number of clients. I consult with many more via email, telephone and a growing number by video conferencing. Most seem to have the same problem – something unknown to them – and they are looking for answers.

Almost everyone one of them is an a hurry to learn HOW to do the thing that they are perplexed about for the moment. Knowing that the short answer is what they want, but certainly not what they need, I attempt to explain WHAT they need to be doing and WHY is is important to do it a certain way. Their response is almost always a resounding, “I don’t want all that theory – just tell me how to do it!” They have failed at that point to follow Rule Number One of The Law of Success and the fact is that they will fail by not following a few simple rules.

The article is free to read, just click on the Sign In button on the upper right side of the page at the School of Screenprinting website and you will be granted Full Access to the site and the article - The Law of Success.
    May all your impressions be great,

Bill Hood
    Consultant to the Screenprinting Industry Worldwide since 1983
    Austin, TX and Cuernavaca, MX
    World Phone: (0011) 512.481.2465

http://solutionsjournal.com
    http://schoolofscreenprinting.com
    http://screenprintstore.com

I will read the article but write this post before having done so. Two things that immediately come to mind, maybe three....
    -Every business fails. It's just a matter of time. The longer you survive the more successful your failure.
    -My old friend Anne Kalin of Lynka in Poland, one of the premier promotional printing companies in Europe, once put it to me like this; "You get it right, eyeryone wants to know the recipe to your success. If you are a runner and set a record, aspiring ones want to know what shoes you wear and often think that by duplicating them they too will have the same success. Ha!

Smart hard work, smart hard work, smart hard work...
    David Permenter
    Educational Director
    DCC Print Vision LLP

India Mobile: +91-704-569-1290
    US Mobile: +1-904-808-5301
    david.permenter@dcc.co.in
    www.dcc.co.in

Comment

Originally posted by David Permenter
      I will read the article but write this post before having done so. Two things that immediately come to mind, maybe three....
      -Every business fails. It's just a matter of time. The longer you survive the more successful your failure.
      -My old friend Anne Kalin of Lynka in Poland, one of the premier promotional printing companies in Europe, once put it to me like this; "You get it right, eyeryone wants to know the recipe to your success. If you are a runner and set a record, aspiring ones want to know what shoes you wear and often think that by duplicating them they too will have the same success. Ha!

Smart hard work, smart hard work, smart hard work...
      Ah, but we do finally disagree on this, David. While it is true that many businesses do fail, they fail because they lost the race. And, of course there can't be that many winners. I believe that some, if not the majority of screenprinters fail because they are ill-prepared for success. Perhaps they had set their goals too small or at a point short of success. For most, we will never know as they slink away from the failure never to be heard of again. Their stories are mostly rumor told by someone who had heard from another that they mismanaged production or had all their eggs in one basket and lost that one big customer.

It is absolutely necessary to note, David, that anyone in screenprinting can reproduce the mechanical aspects of the process and get much closer to the head of the pack than they would be without any thought of becoming a winner.

By understanding and becoming knowledgeable of the variables that effect the accuracy of the process including screen angle combination, line count, mesh count, thread diameter, tension level, emulsion thickness and coating technique, off-contact, squeegee pressure and speed, and yes, even the ink, we can replicate success to some degree. It may take three or four cycles of testing to achieve consistent and predictable results, but it can be done with work.

For decades, athletes attempted to run a mile in four minutes but it seemed to be a barrier that no one could overcome. Then on May 6, 1954, a British runner named Roger Gilbert Bannister ran a mile in 3:59.4 minutes to establish a world record. Soon afterward, other runners broke Bannister's record. The bar was set at a new level. That is what I hope to do. I am not the runner or perhaps even a winner, but I can push others upward and onward.

Too often, we accept conventional thought as fact. Many printers never set their goals high enough, wanting only to get the job on the press and out the door with the least amount of hassle. By placing limitations on themselves and their production staff they are often forced to settle for less. They will never really attain the level of achievement which they are capable because they don't challenge themselves.

Those printers, like yourself, David, who set goals a little higher than their competitors by challenging themselves to be the best that they can be will be more successful in the industry. By focusing on your goals in your quest to achieve success you will achieve your desired results - by exceeding your own expectations.

David, you are hereby awarded the Roger Gilbert Bannister Award for today.
      May all your impressions be great,

Bill Hood
      Consultant to the Screenprinting Industry Worldwide since 1983
      Austin, TX and Cuernavaca, MX
      World Phone: (0011) 512.481.2465

http://solutionsjournal.com
      http://schoolofscreenprinting.com
      http://screenprintstore.com

Comment

Accepted with honor!
        David Permenter
        Educational Director
        DCC Print Vision LLP

India Mobile: +91-704-569-1290
        US Mobile: +1-904-808-5301
        david.permenter@dcc.co.in
        www.dcc.co.in

Comment

This is my tenth year in business. There's always something to learn everyday.
          One of the biggest lessons that took me the longest to learn is that when you are at your busiest with more work than you can handle, that's the time to look for the next job or jobs. Not when you've cleared the job list.
          www.ForthEstate.com

Comment

Working...
          X