No announcement yet.

Tri-Lock advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input. Any pictures you want to post would be great.

Originally posted by alan802
    I'll take some pics of our steps tomorrow and show you the steps. We use regular scotch tape, 4 two inch pieces on full size prints, one on each side, on the edges of the film. Those 4 pieces are to protect the waterproof film from the double sided tape and will remain on the film forever. It's clear and doesn't affect exposure as long as its not over the image. If you don't use waterproof film then you can apply the double sided tape directly to the film and it won't leave a sticky residue like on the waterproof film. Then we put the double sided tape over the scotch tape with about 1/8" of it hanging off the edge of the film so it will stick to the vrs film positioning table. Stick the film to the table in the correct location, lined up on the regi marks preferably, and then put your screen on top and press down on the four tape locations so the film will now stick to the screen. Repeat for each additional color, making sure each film is taped in the exact same location on the table as the last one. We don't use the carrier sheets anymore, they got in the way, caused many pinholes cause they are extremely hard to keep clean and slipped during the process making registration completely off.

It sounds very elaborate and you go through some tape, but it is cheap and saves so much time. A 5 color job takes me about 15 minutes, most of that time being squeegees, floodbars, ink and a couple test prints. Sometimes it's dead on, but most of the time I have to do 2-3 test prints but the work I have to do with the micros is minimal. When I do the taping and exposure the results are almost perfect, but my screen guy is doing something wrong and we have been having mixed results since he started a few months ago. Having tight screens helps and when you put the screen on the vrs table above the film, press down directly on top of the tape, don't wipe your hand from side to side because the mesh will pull very slightly to the side that your moving your hand to, and you'll see that result on the press. Everything is so sensitive and one little mistake, or slip and your chasing your tail.
    Glen Williams

Comment

Tape on Film

Double sided tape on scotch tape with slight overhang

Artwork on registration table

Lay screen down and press down to attach film, press down directly above the tape and avoid wiping side to side or up and down
      http://srimonogramming.com

Comment

Lay screen down and press down to attach film, press down directly above the tape and avoid wiping side to side or up and down
        Are those rubber bumpers that the screen registers to? Wouldn't a solid metal stop be more reliable for screen alignment?

Comment

It's a hard plastic bumper. I am currently working on a new pallet jig which I'll take pictures of when its done, and I am going to replace those plastic bumpers with what I used for the pallet jig, a 2" long X 3/8" washer/spacer around a 3/8" bolt. All I need to do is some grinding and finishing of the jig, along with a few tack welds, and a pallet extrusion to fit it to the new press which won't be here till next week.

Comment

Hey Alan, thanks for the pics. Just curious though, did you decide not to go with the jig from Vastex when you bought everything.

It's a hard plastic bumper. I am currently working on a new pallet jig which I'll take pictures of when its done, and I am going to replace those plastic bumpers with what I used for the pallet jig, a 2" long X 3/8" washer/spacer around a 3/8" bolt. All I need to do is some grinding and finishing of the jig, along with a few tack welds, and a pallet extrusion to fit it to the new press which won't be here till next week.
            Glen Williams

Comment

I use it but I guess I can't leave well enough alone. It sits on top of the pallet and is too high causing it to hit the screen holders. I have to adjust the off contact every time I want to use it then set it back to print. The results are acceptable but I know they could be better. My stop points on the film positioning unit and the vastex pallet jig correspond from my center point of the pallet and the bottom stop point but the stop points on both units aren't equal distance from one another like they should be. That will be solved with the new jig.

Also, whoever built my unit didn't exactly measure correctly, or drill the holes correctly for the stop points. If you look at the two vertical stop points on the right side of the pic, they should be 11 1/2" from the center line. The top one is 11 7/16" from center and the bottom right one is 11 3/8", making everything slightly tilted. That doesn't affect the screen to screen registration but if I use the system then my prints aren't centered on the press pallets nor are they perfectly vertical. I know those measurements don't have to be perfect but I have an opportunity to make them exact, and it couldn't hurt, it should help clear up the discrepencies I have from time to time. The other measurements that will be right with the new pallet jig and the changes I'm going to make to the film positioning unit should make everything better.

I forgot I took a picture of the new jig with my phone. I would consider this a prototype so I'll likely make a few changes to it, but this is the basic idea. I think I'll make the stop points out of 3/4" blocks instead of 1/2".

Comment

Originally posted by gtmfg
                Just a quick update on the tri loc:

Big props to M&R for their attention to this. multiple calls, and now they are sending someone out. That's why you buy M&R.

Wow, now THAT is customer service/support. Helping me decide on which brand to go with when I get to the point of purchasing an auto.

Comment

Don't just think about them for your auto purchase. They have manuals, dryers, DTG, etc.
                  Dave Filip
                  Bimm Ridder Sportswear
                  (319)364-3479
                  davefilip@bimmridder.com

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Comment

Originally posted by bimmridder
                    Getting anywhere?
                    So finally we made some time and progress on this. It seems the problem is with the jig and the mzx frames we are currently using. Looks like the jig isn't holding all the frames in place, and we are getting a distorted image. Not sure yet why, but looks like it's popping up after we close the lid and then pulling the mesh before popping back into place. Anyway, just wanted to give M&R props for sending Randy and Eric out. They dialed in my press and spent time with me back tracking the Tri loc. That means a ton to me since we are just a little speck of a shop compared to most shops they service.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmfg
                      So finally we made some time and progress on this. It seems the problem is with the jig and the mzx frames we are currently using. Looks like the jig isn't holding all the frames in place, and we are getting a distorted image. Not sure yet why, but looks like it's popping up after we close the lid and then pulling the mesh before popping back into place. Anyway, just wanted to give M&R props for sending Randy and Eric out. They dialed in my press and spent time with me back tracking the Tri loc. That means a ton to me since we are just a little speck of a shop compared to most shops they service.
                      You may want to check your glass to make sure it is flat and not concave. All glass will concave after a period of use. When it gets hot, glass will drop in the middle due to the weight of the glass alone, and even more so when you start adding weight to it.

I check the flatness of the glass with a length of sewing thread. I hold the thread at opposite sides of and flat to the glass. Then I check to assure that the thread is touching in the middle. If there is only a slight gap, this will effect my image and registration as the mesh is pulled down to the glass. If I see a gap, I flip the glass until it begins to sag again and then I flip it again.

May all your impressions be great,

Bill Hood
                      Consultant to the Screenprinting Industry Worldwide since 1983
                      Austin, TX and Cuernavaca, MX
                      World Phone: (0011) 512.481.2465

http://solutionsjournal.com
                      http://schoolofscreenprinting.com
                      http://screenprintstore.com

Comment

Re: Tri-Lock advice

Originally posted by gtmfg View Post
                        Randy and Eric are the ********, and the main reason i went with M&R. Its nice to have those two guys within a ten minute drive.

Comment

Hey guys, Iím having trouble with out Tri Loc, we are making sure we are 100% on the grid, we make sure itís 100% on the exposure unit but once we taking it to press, none of our screens are registered. Any input?

Comment

Working...
                          X