Welcome to the M&R t-shirt, screen printing and digital forums.
  • Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds
    What are the pros and cons of a DTG printer? The embroidery shop that we were originally going to purchase before we started our own business just purchased one. Some of our friends, family, and customers are wondering why we are still screen printing when we can purchase one of these "amazing printers"? I don't know enough about them to fire back at our critics and was wondering if we can get some input here. This other shop has never done screen printing but has recently started contracting it out. Is it feasible to do every day 1-3 color spot printing with one of these? What about operating costs? Like I said earlier we would like some info about this so we can quiet our critics. We have no intentions of purchasing one any time soon.

Thanks,

Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by stitches4815
    What are the pros and cons of a DTG printer? The embroidery shop that we were originally going to purchase before we started our own business just purchased one. Some of our friends, family, and customers are wondering why we are still screen printing when we can purchase one of these "amazing printers"? I don't know enough about them to fire back at our critics and was wondering if we can get some input here. This other shop has never done screen printing but has recently started contracting it out. Is it feasible to do every day 1-3 color spot printing with one of these? What about operating costs? Like I said earlier we would like some info about this so we can quiet our critics. We have no intentions of purchasing one any time soon.

Thanks,

Wade
    There are many benefits of having a DTG. Small runs down to one shirt can easily be printed with very little effort. Typical cost for a standard print on a white shirt is around .40 while a typical size print on a dark will hoover around $2.00. The question you need to ask yorself is how many small jobs do you turn away weekly and what would the revenue be. Do a real ROI or ask your M&R Regional Humberto to help with it and then decide if its for you. Also consider how much other work will this bring in based on handling all your customers needs. Is this a replacement for screen printing? the answer is no. Hopefully others on the board who have digital units will share real numbers in their shops.
    Rich Hoffman
    CEO
    Toll-Free: 800 736 6431
    Office: +1 630 858 6101
    Mobile: +1 630 240 9076
    Fax: +1 847 583 8578
    rich.hoffman@mrprint.com

The M&R Companies
    M&R - NuArc - Amscomatic
    1N372 Main St
    Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
    www.mrprint.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds
    Thanks Rich, I appreciate the input. I am sure others will weigh in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds
    We also have a GT541 and use it daily. It fills the niche for small runs of full color items. We just got complete this weekend with 100 shirts with a photo on them.

However, I do agree with T-formation about color matching.

The important thing is understand the market you are targeting. Know what the machine can and can NOT do. If you can build the business case for it, its great! We love ours and hope to add an I-Dot at some point.
    Have a great day!

Nathan Harrison
    Skyline Prints Embroidery and Gifts
    4982 Bill Gardner Pkwy
    Locust Grove, GA 30248
    (770) 914-1558
    www.SkyLinePrints.com
    Become a Fan on Facebook

Embroidery, Screen Printing, Digital Garment Printing, and Promotional items.

We Bring Your Ideas To Life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds
    Wade,

The DTG printers are "amazing", but they are not a replacement for screen printing. What I am seeing, is that most of the screen printers who purchase an i-Dot are not replacing their screen print business, but augmenting it. They are taking in small orders for lots of colors, that they would have turned away. And they are making a really nice margin on this incremental business.

Geoff Baxter
    Geoff Baxter
    Director, Digital Products Division
    630-487-0065
    geoff.baxter@mrprint.com

The M&R Companies
    www.mrprint.com
    800 736 6431 or +1 630 858 6101

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffb
    Wade,

The DTG printers are "amazing", but they are not a replacement for screen printing. What I am seeing, is that most of the screen printers who purchase an i-Dot are not replacing their screen print business, but augmenting it. They are taking in small orders for lots of colors, that they would have turned away. And they are making a really nice margin on this incremental business.

Geoff Baxter

Geoff,

I am both an diamondback and and I-dot owner...I will say that DTG will NEVER replace traditional screenprinting. We have seen an increase on the 1-18 item orders at a much higher dollar amount per garment....we have also seen an increase in "picture" shirts that also have a great margin...

sam

Sam Wildt
    Palomar Printing
    Operations Manager
    http://www.palomarprinting.com
    508-856-7237

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds

Re: Pros and cons of a DTG printer

This is really a very nice conversation about DTG Printing. Glad to know about the pro and cons of DTG Printing through this conversation. Really useful for me. Many thanks to all of you for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds

DTG- Direct to garment. With DTG there is no set up cost. With traditional screen printing, customers were restricted by no of colors and pricing. Price per color was not affordable. But with DTG, price and no of colors are no longer an issue. Here artist is free to use desired no of colors for design printing. It can print extremely detailed images. There is no need to extra charge for large t-shirt set up. Another advantage is that here we don't need an experienced employee instead all that we need is an employee who can consistently operate a graphic program and a simple digital printer. Overall DTG is considered to be a useful tool in production of custom non textile goods.
    Now the disadvantages with DTG is that the resulting print of STG would not last for as many machine washes as screen printed equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds

DTG printer from this thread only i came to know about this printer. Added this post helps me to know which one is the best choice.

10. Likes Skye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Classifieds

You can literally have live computer previews of your print. You are also able to run multiple printers from one computer. This means that the amount of time and also labor involved with DTG printing is far much lower than screen-printing.